Top 15 Interesting Facts About Electricity

Top 15 Interesting Facts About Electricity

 

Electricity is a form of energy which provides power to devices that create light, heat,etc. Apart from powering devices,electricity is  pretty interesting. Here are interesting facts about electricity.

electricity transmission

 

  1. You can make electricity from anything, light, wind, water and even from animal poop.
  2. A single bolt of lightning can measure up to 3,000,000 volts, that’s enough electricity to power more than 100,000 homes.
  3. Electricity travels close the speed of light,close to 186,000 miles per second.
  4. Coal is the world’s biggest source of electricity .This is achieved by burning coal.
  5. Iceland is the first country ever whose electricity supply comes entirely from renewable sources.
  6. A refrigerator uses less energy than a play station
  7. Only 10% of the energy used by a traditional light bulb generates actual light .The other 90% of the energy creates heat.
  8. Two negative charges repel each other; likewise two positive charges. Opposite charges attract each other.
  9. The first power plant was built by Thomas Edison in 1882 which was opened in New York.
  10. Benjamin Franklin didn’t discover electricity, but he did prove that lightning is a form of electrical energy.

  11. Electricity is present in our bodies; our nerve cells use it to pass signals to our muscles.

  12. A bird doesn’t get electrocuted sitting on a power line that’s because both feet are on one power line. However, if the bird touches another line with its wing or foot, it creates a circuit flowing through the body of the bird which results to electrocution. This would work for humans too if you were to hang hovering on one of these wires as long as your isn’t touching anything else. You wouldn’t be electrocuted but don’t try this. Read more
  13. Electricity can be used to produce most powerful magnet known as electromagnet.
  14. The word electric was first used in 1646 from the Greek word ‘elekron’ meaning amber.
  15. If you touch the point of connection of a closed circuit,it doesn’t harm. This is because the net charge of every closed circuit is usually zero.
Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *