Electronic device repairs is not as hard as most people thinks. It depends on what your goals are and also your curiosity to learn. Do you desire to fix appliances, or gadgets? You don’t necessarily need a degree, but you need to do a lot of reading or a formal training course makes you better.
First of all, in order to get started in electronic device repair, two things are required which are :
- Tools and
- Knowledge of electronic components.
1. Read about basic electronic components (resistors, capacitors, Inductors) and their vital characteristics which are resistance, capacitance and inductance.
2. Read about Semiconductors, which includes Diodes, transistors, diac, triac, op amp, and MOSFET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor).
3. Learn about various switches and contact types. Furthermore Electromechanical types like relays. Understanding how they work is the first step in preventing their early failure. Also, fuses.
4. Understand how these electronic components works.
Once you had grasped the principles of electronic components and accurately testing them, you are 50% ready.
Tools/Instruments you will need
1. Buy suitable solvents and cleaners, a strong air blower. A lot of faults are caused by much, grease and lack of maintenance.
2. Buy fine reasonably priced set of fine screwdrivers, bendy screwdriver with multiple tips and precision long screwdrivers.
3. Mechanical tools: starting from a small sized hammer and pliers.
4. Safety stuff: gloves, hoses, hoods etc.
5. Heat shrinking tube, adhesives, good insulating tape
6. You need a high quality multimeter make sure it also has standard functions like a diode checker and a buzzer (connectivity test). Also, if it has a socket for a thermocouple, it’s a nice addition. Learning how to use it will help in detecting the faults in electronic devices.
7. Buy a soldering station and learn how to use it. Have replacement tips ready, it is easy to damage them when inexperienced. Learn how to use it don’t underestimate the importance.
Most of the time, the fix is simple; a broken solder joint, a conductor that came off. Other times, it could be a failing capacitor or broken enamel from an inductor or a burnt fuse that needs to be replaced. The solution of a faulty electronic device lies in discovering the problem of the device.
When you try to fix of electronic devices, you can either restore it back to its normal state or make it worst. Therefore, In order to get ahead in fixing electronic devices easier and faster, you have to use the right tools and read the right (helpful) books.
Getting started in electronic devices repair, you need to be specific on the aspect you want to be in. It can be computer aspect (CPU or monitor), LCD aspect, Alarm system (CCTV) and so on.
You can’t be Jack of all trade….master to none! Choose the field you want to be in, be a master in it before moving to another field.
Honestly, electronic device repairs can be sometimes frustrating but it is only passion that keeps you moving towards getting it fixed. Passion motivates you and keep you going on bad days. Be passionate! I presume you are passionate about electronic otherwise you wouldn’t be reading this post.
Your knowledge plus your passion for electronic gets electronic device FIXED.